Friday, May 8, 2009

Blind As Can Be

I haven't really talked about it much openly, but I'm going through a really tough time right now. Really, the last 7 years have been one difficult road for me, with a lot of ups and a lot of downs. But in the last 6 months, they've culminated into something that is so far beyond my ability to handle, I can barely walk.

I feel like Joseph from Scripture, stuck in jail... for years... for crimes he didn't commit. Just when he thought somebody was going to put in a good word for him and get him out... nothing happened. But he kept on doing good, helping out in the prison, making friends, lauging and smiling.

I'd be willing to bet there were other prisoners in there with him who thought he actually was happy there... who mistook his positive attitude and refusal to give up hope as proof that Joseph didn't have it as bad as they did. Maybe even some of them were jealous. "Why's he so perky? Obviously, somebody's slipping him some better rations than we're getting. No fair!"

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you're better off than the person you're jealous of? Has it crossed your mind that she has problems, too, and that maybe hers are worse than yours and that's why you've never heard her talk about them? Or maybe you think you're doing pretty well and you wonder what everybody else's problem is.

When you find out that things aren't as great for someone as you always thought they were... does that please you on some level? ...make you feel superior? ...make you feel justified in your own pain? Or do you realize that your judgements were incorrect & that you could have been so much kinder to that person all this time?

I hope you'll take a fresh look at your circumstances and consider you might not be the only one going through a difficult time. I hope you'll notice and be thankful for the good there is in your life... maybe even try to add some good to the lives of those around you.

Whether it's a word of encouragement, an act of kindness, or actually getting down and dirty as you walk with somebody through a difficult part of their journey, I hope you'll put aside the notion that everyone who has a smile on his face or a spring in her step must be getting a better shake than you are. Or that those who seem miserable must somehow be responsible for all their troubles. Maybe they are.

...Or maybe they're just so crippled they're being carried one day at a time in the arms of their Savior. In the end... aren't we all?



You say, "I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing." But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. -Revelation 3:17-18

© Stephanie Yax:  2009